Couples in committed relationships inevitably experience times of struggle. Generally, relationship difficulties are the product of many inter-related stressors and/or events that ultimately overwhelm the couples’ ability to function in a satisfying manner. Disappointment hurt, blame, and withdraw often characterize troubled relationship. In troubled relationships, fear and anger take centre stage…hope for the future seems lost.
Couples counselling provides partners with a safe and respectful place to talk…to speak clearly and from the heart…and to listen deeply with compassion. Through this process, the real issues can be identified, understood, and addressed.
Common couples counselling concerns:
- Poor communication
- Breach of trust
- Chronic arguing and fighting
- Loss of intimacy (emotional and/or sexual)
- Infidelity (emotional and/or sexual)
- Outside intrusion (in-laws, former spouses/partners, others)
- Health or legal crisis
- Substance abuse
- Transition from one life stage to another (births, relocation, new career, mid-life crisis, empty-nest, retirement)
- Blended families